Friday, March 28, 2008

Friday Afternoon in Rwanda

One of the reasons for my trip here was to keep Alycia company as she traveled over here to work the conference. I was also intrigued by the conference itself. I had the impression that there would be times for the young adults to share their stories of the genocide. But the schedule was booked solid with speakers. Today, for example, it was all day long talking about economics, things like micro-banking. I decided to skip it.

Then Alycia called. One of the speakers didn't show so the young adults took the time to tell their stories. As the emotions grew Alycia pulled aside one of the conference organizers to tell him that they needed to offer some individual counseling for the young adults there on the spot. So the pastors were recruited to help out.

Exactly why I wanted to attend the conference and I missed it! On the one hand, how was I to know? On the other hand, what a disappointment! Good on Alycia, however, for seizing the moment and putting into motion a very necessary follow up for those whose deep wounds were re-opened through a very important time of sharing.

I'm hoping tomorrow a few of the students may take the time to tell me their stories so that I can pass them along to you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How disappointing for you. But perhaps someone will have wished he/she spoke up today and didn't and will welcome a chance to speak with you Saturday.