Friday, October 19, 2007

Saying Good-bye

Today we attended and participated in the funeral of a good friend, Jimmy Glendening. I've known Jimmy for about 12 years. Jimmy was married to our drama director, Terey Summers, and had been very involved in my ministry through his bass guitar on our worship teams.

I knew Jimmy in his wheel-chair. And, like many others who talked about Jimmy today, I was impacted by the grace and ease with which he handled it. I know it was tough on him, but he made the best of it and lived life to the full any way.

Jimmy would have been 53 in December. Far too young to die.

It was a particularly powerful service because of the kind of guy Jimmy was, and because of the Savior he believed in.

It was also good to be with some of my colleagues--Tom Eggum (of Hope 4 Kids International--we've been friends for over 30 years and served on the staff of Community Church of Joy together), Paul Sorensen from Joy, and Dottie Escobedo-Frank, now pastor at Crossroads United Methodist Church. She served on the staff of Joy for a time, as well. (Isn't United Methodist an oxymoron? Much like an Evangelical Lutheran! :))

Somewhat sadly, I'm at a point in my life, rounding 50, when the only time I see many of my friends is at these kinds of gatherings--saying goodbye to peers and friends. It's part of that circle of life that is both a blessing and a heartache.

Today, as is usual for a funeral, was both a blessing and a heartache. Jimmy was a really good guy. He will be missed.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember and appreciate Jimmy for his positive attitude, his friendliness to everyone, and his peaceful demeanor.

What a tribute to Jimmy that his funeral was attended by so many people of all ages who knew him from family, work, church, or elsewhere. He touched a great many lives.

As many have said, it is comforting that he is now enjoying walking around in Heaven!

Anonymous said...

Dad always says that jimmy and mom are sitting by the fountain eating ice cream cones together and laughing at how silly we all are!