Friday, October 5, 2007

Lessons from a Bike

This morning I went out for my usual Friday 30 mile bike ride. (For those of you who care about such things, I usually ride the canals from 75th Ave and approximately Bell to about 24th St. and Glendale and back, This morning I was greeted with perhaps the strongest headwind I've experienced in 2+ years of bike riding. Here's some perspective. The last time I did this 30 mile ride I averaged 17.5 miles per hour on the way out--the first 15 miles. Today--15.9 miles per hour! But the reward was the trip back home. I hardly needed to pedal at all. My average time for the entire 30 mile ride was 17.6 miles per hour. You can do the math--because I can't--to figure out how fast I was going the last 15 miles!)

Anyway, about 9 miles into the ride I hit 6000 miles on my odometer. That's a lot of miles on a bike, usually riding the same 20-30 mile route again and again.

Several years ago I wrote a book on self-care for pastors using running and marathon training as the metaphor. I thought it was probably my most helpful, significant book. Nobody else did, however! :)

So, to celebrate 6000 miles, here are a few lessons I've learned from biking: (We'll see if anybody besides me cares about this particular metaphor for life!)

1) When headed into the wind, move to an easier gear, put your head down, and keep pedaling. You'll get there eventually and the extra effort will make you stronger.

2) When going with the wind, sit back a bit and enjoy the beauty of an effortless ride.

3) Keep your eyes open for glass, bumps, stones, and other potential hazards that can blow a tire or cause a fall.

4) Be especially diligent for bikers/pedestrians taking up the entire road, who are paying no attention as you sail through.

5) Get the iPod out of your ears and enjoy the time listening to nature around you and the thoughts and moods in your heart and soul.

6) Be extra diligent for drivers who usually could care less if they run you over. They will always win. But you're probably in better shape!

7) While keeping your eyes in front of you, don't forget to take in the big picture. Looking only at the pavement robs you of the sky, plants, mountains, water, etc., around you.

8) Life is always better when you get outdoors and exercise!

9) Keep your bike in good shape. That will keep you in good shape.

10) Enjoy the ride, but remember to wear padding in certain areas!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What type of bike and size tires are you riding. I'd assume it would be a crosstrainer for riding on fine gravel. Whatever you're riding, a 17.5 mph pace seems very good for riding the canal paths. Do you get many flats on canal paths?
PS. You may never receive this as I'm not into blogs!

Pastor Tim said...

I have a road bike with the skinny tires. But I always ride on the paved segments of the canal. I bought the, what I call, steel-belted tires. They work well. When I first started out on the regular tires I had flats all the time. Now, with these reinforced tires, I rarely get flats at all.