Sunday, November 4, 2007

Sunday Musings

Does anyone still think I'm a fool for not renewing my Arizona Cardinals season tickets?

I presided over a funeral this afternoon. As I listened to the family talk about what a great father Chet was, I wondered a bit about what family and friends would say about me. Could be I'm thinking about turning 50 next month. But probably more than that it's the question most of us ask at some point in our lives. Am I making a difference? Do I matter in the scheme of things? And for a person of faith, has my faith made an impact?

I hope these don't sound like the morbid musings of a mid-lifer. They were actually good questions as I reflected on my life for a few brief moments as we were reflecting on the life of someone who had just passed away.

We've been re-introducing some of the great hymns/Gospel songs of the church during worship lately--offering them in updated musical styles. Some of those old hymns really hold up in terms of lyrics, and, with a tweak here and there, sound pretty good after all these years. But it's time to get back to some kickin' music again.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

LOVE hearing/singing the classic hymns (in addition to the "kickin'" stuff)!

dianne p said...

love the classic hymns too, especially w/ the new arrangements. best of both worlds!

Anonymous said...

I'm in my early forties, so I'm not exactly "old" - yet - but I really enjoy the "old", classic hymns right along with all the new music. Thank you for bringing them back and I hope you keep them in the mix for upcoming services.