Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Perceptions

On Sunday, between worship services, I was sitting with a couple of our singers and my wife, Jan. We were talking about making the time for exercise. That led to a discussion about busyness.

My wife made a rather surprising statement. She said I'm busier now as a Senior Pastor than I was when I was "just" an associate. It was surprising because I feel like I'm not nearly as busy as I was before. Or maybe I don't feel as stressed. I loved being an associate, but I was a part of a very large church with lots of meetings all day long. In this new church experience, it's far more relational--hanging out with people talking about faith. Lots of meetings, I guess, but a different kind of meeting. Obviously I have busy seasons but overall, I feel good about my pace of life and work.

It's all a matter of perception. But, if my wife says I'm busier, I'd better listen. Because her perception is always right.

No comments: