Monday, December 31, 2007

Wrapping Up 2007

I recognize that blogs are meant to be read by the public. So I'm always mindful of being narcissistic or self-absorbed. Why would you want to read my private journal?

Having said that (or written that!) I also realize that a blog serves as a personal encounter with life and that it enables a blogger to record his/her life experiences. I've been using the Christmas season for some of that--recording personal memories and impressions of my favorite time of year.

So I will do the same one more time as I wrap up 2007. I do this primarily for my sake, but perhaps it will stimulate some highlights from your 2007.

Below are some of the things I experienced this past year:

Some amazing bike rides

The phone call, while in Hawaii, that my mom had died.

My mom's funeral with so many, many of our Grace and Joy families with us.

A very exciting and successful building campaign at Grace: Building a Community of Grace (I actually wrote Joy the first time! I owe $5 to the Grace Hunger Fund! I'm going broke.)

The fun of dreaming about the new campus.

Dynamic Easter Services.

Getting a tattoo of the Grace cross on my arm.

The weekend spent with Jay Bakker, particularly his Sunday morning interview at our services

A quick but relaxing trip to Disneyland in April (to finish the vacation we didn't get due to mom's death)

Great experiences in our various clusters--the men's group, two couples clusters.

Backing out of the trip to Rwanda due to a panic attack--oi!

Beating myself up for three days straight for backing out of my trip to Rwanda due to a panic attack--oi!

A nice, relaxing trip to Hawaii in August with some friends from college.

My son, Mike, starting video game design school. He loves it. Since he was a little kid we knew he had a passion for video gaming. That, and his music!

Spending time with Alycia and her boyfriend, Corey, in Minneapolis during my trip to Luther Seminary. (I stayed in the middle of Downtown Minneapolis. Fantastic!)

Speaking at chapel at Luther Sem. Spending time with the students.

Front row seats at Barry Manilow.

Shaking hands with Barry Manilow.

Turning 50.

Christmas and all that that entails (see Wrapping up Christmas)

Every weekend with our community of Grace. Time spent with family and my dogs. Quiet times of prayer and Bible reading. Reading books about mission. Reading British mysteries. Hanging with the Pastor Buddies on Tuesday. Eating great food.

What a year.

No comments: