Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Musings

Tuesday afternoon/evening--5 pm

My Beagle is sitting next to me staring at me with her big brown eyes letting me know it's Greenie time (Greenies are healthy dog treats). She has an internal clock that knows exactly when it's time for food or treats. Unbelievable.

Our Pastor Buddies Bible study looked at repentance today. John the Baptist and Jesus called us to repent. So often we see that as a law word or a condemntation word. But it's always a grace word--repentance is our response to God's love. Rather than living away from God we repent, change directions, and live with God. When I married Jan, for example, I repented. I turned from the single life to a married life. There are many things I turned my back on, i.e., dating other women, in order to enjoy the married way of life. There are certainly times when the call to repentance takes on a more prophetic tone, especially when we stray from God. If, for example, I started to stray from Jan I'd need a two-by-four whack on the head to get me back on the right path. But even then, it's a gracious whack as it's for my best. Sometimes grace can be painful.

During December I listen to Christmas music non-stop. XM radio has a few stations to choose from. I find lately I tune most often to the traditions station--the one playing all the golden oldies from the likes of Perry Como to Bing to Dean Martin to Frank Sinatra. I grew up with those voices. Perhaps it's a mid-life thing this year as I am officially one week shy of 50. Or maybe it's that they just don't make them like they used to (Barry Manilow and BJ Thomas the exceptions!)

My Beagle is now laying (or is it lying) on the floor waiting for her treat. So it's off to feed her!

1 comment:

dianne p said...

On the Today show, they're celebrating Matt Lauer's 50th too - all week long - or maybe it's all month long - or maybe it just seems that way. Anyway, the Grace staff might want to tune in to get some celebration hints from NBC ;-)