Sunday, January 6, 2008

1st 2008 Post--Going Simple

We're about a week into the new year and I've yet to post anything brilliant or not-so-brilliant.

This is partly due to the fact that I had nothing to say. Like many of you, I was coming down from Christmas and gearing up for life after the holidays.

I'm not sure I have anything brilliant or not-so-brilliant at this moment so here's something I'm working on this next year:

This year our congregation is focusing on the theme: Simply Jesus. We're going to try to strip away some of the excess stuff that comes with Christianity and redisover Jesus and what it means to experience and follow him.

Part of this has grown out of a book the staff is working through--Simple Church. Part of it is growing out of the reading I am doing on simpler living. I've made a commitment to simplify my life this year (even though I feel my life is already pretty simple). I'm learning to see simple living as a gift of grace--a gift that enables us to enjoy what we have and free up resources for those who don't have.

Knowing this was coming, I bought everything I wanted the last two weeks of last year! :) This year I want to learn to buy only what I need and really enjoy what I already have. I'll let you know how it goes.

It promises to be another great year.

1 comment:

dianne p said...

I used to travel to other countries for work and was always struck by how few *things* they had. The sheer number of stores and size of our closets in the U.S. is quite a contrast to other countries, even the affluent ones. It isn't that they didn't spend money on stuff - they did - but they seemed to spend it more thoughtfully, and certainly less frequently. A few beautiful items of clothing vs a closetful of things that are seldom maybe never worn. Sort of like eating in Europe - smaller portions, exquisite quality. I am (finally) convinced that God does want us to have and enjoy beautiful things, as He is the creator of all things beautiful as well as the creator of our ability to appreciate beauty. Our goal is to purchase things intentionally with good stewardship and enjoy them thoughtfully with hearts of gratitude. To notice and enjoy, not to rush in busy-ness and unawareness. And as we are blessed with material pleasures beyond measure in this country, to seek out ways that we may use them to bless others.