Sunday, January 20, 2008

Mid-life Blues

On Wednesday I started my old man physical (the turning 50 one!). I had some blood work done a few weeks ago so I went in to get the scoop on that and to experience some poking and prodding, if you know what I mean!

The good news: For the most part my blood work looks good. The not so good news: Two areas of concern--my cholesterol and my blood sugar. Both were a bit high.

The doctor told me to cut back on the fats (which I've done for years!) and to watch my carb intake (breads, pastas, etc.) Problem is, I love bread and pastas. If I can't eat carbs and fats, not much left in the scheme of things.

So wanting to die healthy, I started researching the Glycemic Index. Come to find out, I can't eat anything!

So, I have two choices as I move into the second 50 years of my life--don't eat and die. Or eat and die.

I wanted life to get more simple. Can't get much simpler than that!

Midlife really....!

Oh, and by the way--my psa looks great. No prostate cancer concern. But the thing is a bit enlarged.

Next thing you know I'll start losing my hair.

The real kicker, when you know I'm really getting old, is when I start complaining about it. I hope to put that off for a few years.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Pastor Tim,

I recently read a book by called the Food Revolution which advocates a vegan lifestyle, which I was already practicing before I read it. However my reasons for being vegan were mostly ethical regarding animal cruelty and some environmental concerns, but the most interesting part of the book for me was the large part of it about the health implications of a vegan diet.

It's a really long book, but there is sort of a fact sheet of quotes and statistics at the following website:
http://www.foodrevolution.org/facts_quotes.htm

The citations are weird here (all grouped below) but in the book each fact and each quote has a citation that is easy to follow.



Anyways, I think it's just interesting to read... I was formerly passive about talking about veganism, but have recently wanted to talk about it more just because I want family and friends to live happy, healthy lives!

Sorry for the sort of long post. I'm not trying to be preachy about veganism, I just thought that your post about your health made me think of some things I read in the book...

I hope all is well in Arizona! It's pretty chilly and rainy here in Paris :-\

-David

Pastor Tim said...

Thanks for the heads up, David. With all of that great French food around you constantly, I'm sure being a vegan will be both healthier for you and a bit of a challenge!

dianne p said...

Of course you realize that you have now left yourself wide open for all sorts of unsolicited advice... So I will join the fray. First ask Bob about the scientific data about cholesterol as a risk factor for heart disease. Second get connected with Walter Willett. He's the author of "Eat Drink and Be Healthy" - a truly evidence based book on science and nutrition, and is professor of public health/epidemiology and nutrition at Harvard Med School. If this link shows up, it's a pretty lengthy interview on PBS. If not, just google him.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/diet/interviews/willett.html
BTW, congrats on the good psa!