Sunday, July 29, 2007

Sunday Musings

Jeff's version of the Lord's Prayer was fantastic this morning at both worship services. (A bit of an embarrassing moment--I think we all thought the standing o's were for him, but I think they were really for the sermon. Weren't they?)

Community of Grace has a great board of directors. The leaders are smart, mission-minded, and financially wise.

I really love being a pastor.

Our city is reeling from two very public tragedies this weekend: 1) The crash of two TV helicopters, killing two pilots and two cameramen. It was gripping, hard, sad, watching the news media having to grieve publicly in the moment while also trying to tell the story. 2) The shooting death of a young police officer. Profound reminders of why the world needs reckless grace.

I was fighting a flu bug yesterday--or food poisoning. I went to bed at 7:30 pm. Woke up about midnight feeling kind of achy. Took some aspirin and work up in the morning drenched. Must of had a fever. Felt great for worship, however, though I still get the occasional kick to the gut.

We held our board meeting today at the new site of the Grace World Headquarters. Jeff and Diane are doing a great job in renovating the place.

One of our Grace'rs was joking with me about the amount of writing I send out to our congregation--the emails, updates, devotionals, etc, plus the blog. I told him people may not read the stuff, but in 2 1/2 years no one has complained that I don't keep you all informed! :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it's great that you keep us so informed. Better to have too much and we can choose what we want than not to have enough and feel in the dark. It's the same at work; my team sometimes thinks they get a lot of email but they sure miss me when I'm on vacation. If you can handle sharing, I say keep on!
Thanks.

Michelle Halonen said...

We returned from our Mexico mission trip to find out that our friend, George, had been killed in the line of duty on Friday night. Every ounce of wind has been knocked out of us as we have begun to grieve the loss of a young man who had so much promise, knowing that the world has so much to lose by his absence.
It's hard to imagine that grace can extend to the one who took George's life as we see the devastation the murderer has brought to George's wife and two little boys, to his parents and his extended family, to the Phoenix Police family, to law enforcement throughout the valley, and to the community at large. And yet we know that God's reckless grace knows no bounds, so it's a good thing it depends on God and not on me!