Thursday, September 13, 2007

What Does My Driving Say About Jesus?

I have a Community of Grace decal on the back of my car. I also have a personalized license plate that says, COGPSTR (Community of Grace Pastor for those of you who have a hard time, like I do, deciphering vanity plates). I really try to drive safely, but sometimes even I get a bit flustered with the traffic. And sometimes, when people irritate me, I may speed ahead of them and...no, I don't do that...I look at them and shake my head in disgust. Then, as I pull ahead of them, I suddenly realize what the back of my car says.

One of the big churches in our area has their logo plastered on what seems like a million cars. This is a great church, by the way, but they now have a reputation for some of the worst drivers in the Valley. There are so many of them, and the logo is so recognized, that a few bad drivers are creating a driving stigma for that congregation.

Yesterday I read a brief article by a pastor suggesting that we should remove Christian symbols from our cars. He says that in all the years he had such stickers and decals on his car not one non-Christian asked him about his faith.

I recognize that a Grace decal on any car instantly improves the car's value by about 10%. But what does my driving say about my church? My faith?

After further review, I think I'll get a new vanity plate, remove the decal, and put on one of the decals from that big church down the street. :)

No comments: