Thursday, August 16, 2007

Elvis Musings

I remember where I was when I heard that Elvis had died--I was driving home from my summer job working for Jan's dad out in Jonathon (Chanhassen), Minnesota.

I am one degree (or is it two?) of separation from Elvis: I am close personal friends with BJ Thomas who was friends with Elvis. Or, I am friends with Dean Jones (best known for his roles in Disney movies in the 60's) who starred with Elvis in Jail House Rock.

Years ago we did a "talk show" program with Dean Jones at Community Church of Joy. As a joke we had one of our staff members come out dressed as Elvis and sit in on the show with us.

A few of my favorite Elvis songs: In the Ghetto. If I Can Dream (actually prefer the Barry Manilow version). Suspicious Minds (also covered by BJ Thomas, my close, personal friend). Burnin' Love.

Elvis was a big Gospel Music fan. He often sang Gospel music in his concerts. After shows he would sing Gospel songs with his back up singers for hours into the early morning. My sense is that Elvis was a deeply spiritual man (with pins in his underwear) who really did love Jesus.

1 comment:

Simon de Vries said...

And until today I had thought that he never died ...