Thursday, August 13, 2009

Musings on 30 Years of Marriage--3

So...Jan finally asked me out! If she hadn't, we'd probably still be dating and I'd still be wondering if she liked me!

Friday night I had a commitment--our High School band was playing at an A-squad Basketball Team home game which was being broadcast on a Christian Radio Station (KTIS). I had a trumpet solo. We were concert band, not a pep or marching band, so we had to improvise a bit.

I decided I would take Jan to the game and then a movie afterwards.

I arranged to pick up her up at her house (and I had to--got to--meet her parents).

However, my mom made me drive Jeff and his friend Arnie to the game, which meant I had to pick up Jan for our first date with Jeff and Arnie in tow. Very cool! :(

The three of us headed into Jan's house where I met her mom and dad for the first time. I was nervous enough taking Jan out let alone having to meet her folks. But, all in all, it went ok. They really liked Jeff!

We went to the game where I was able to dump Jeff and Arnie. After the game we headed downtown Minneapolis to catch a movie (this was before the days of the multi-plex explosion). We had two options for a movie: A new Dean Martin movie, something like Ricco? where he played a lawyer? or Young Frankenstein. I'd already seen Young Frankenstein (and it turns out no one saw the new Dean Martin movie) so we took in Young Frankenstein. When you see that movie with your high school friends you perceive the humor one way. When you're out on your first date you see it in a far different light--a more uncomfortable light! But we both enjoyed it.

I took Jan home. We hung out awhile. I got home past my curfew. A trend that would continue for a few weeks until I was grounded!

The next night we headed out to what used to be the Met Sports Center--now the Mega Mall-- and home of the once Minnesota Northstars hockey team, now the Dallas Stars. My Grandfather's organization, The Lutheran Evangelistic Movement (LEM) was hosting their annual youth conference. My folks encouraged us to attend as they wanted us to hear and meet a new, young evangelist named Tom Eggum. Tom and I became friends and he eventually came to work with us at Joy.

After the meeting I took Jan home. We hung out awhile. And I got home past my curfew...

That weekend, January 24-25, 1975, began a five year dating experience which eventually lead to marriage...but I get ahead of myself.

PS--I just looked up the Dean Martin Movie. It was called, Mr. Ricco. How's that for a memory!!! Not bad for a middle-aged guy.

No comments: