Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Musings on 25 Years of Ordained Ministry--17: Final Thoughts

Today is the actual 25th Anniversary of my ordination (at least where I am). I'm sitting in Tel Aviv, Israel as I write this.

On Sunday Community of Grace threw me a nice party to celebrate the big event. It was great fun.

As I wrap up--a few thoughts on what's most important on a day like this:

Grandparents who nurtured me in the faith
Parents who prayed for me every day and encouraged my hopes and dreams
Teachers and youth leaders and pastors who shared Jesus with me
Professors and Bible teachers who challenged my faith
Congregations that provided the resources so that someone like me could hear about Jesus

The many, many great people I've worked with over the years from Walt and the staff of Joy to my current partners in mission--the staff and congregation of Grace

I interviewed former Cards quarterback Neil Lomax on Sunday. He said what's more important than being a great ball player is being a great dad.

I love being a dad. I am so very, very proud of my kids. Alycia's passion for the abused, oppressed and voiceless has had a profound impact on me and on Community of Grace. Mike's love of music and sports brings such joy to me, and his music such grace to the church. Alycia's hubby Corey and Mike's wife Amber are true answers to our prayers.

I love being married to Jan. She has been and is the best life partner I could have. From loving Jesus to her passion for ministry to her support of my calling to those long days putting up with my anxiety, to being a fantastic mom, I love her with my whole heart.

Finally, it's always about and has always been about Jesus, that he would love and use someone such as me. All praise, honor, and worship goes to him. He's called me. And that alone brings enough humility, joy, and head-scratching to last a lifetime.

No comments: