Monday, March 9, 2009

Hanging in Israel--3

It's Monday afternoon. We're at the Dead Sea. I'm contemplating whether or not to take a "float" on the Sea for awhile.

Since the pictures won't upload and since I don't want to do a travelogue, I thought I would try to give my 3-5 highlights from each day.

Obviously, I'm a bit behind so here goes: (I'll start with today and work backwards):

Monday, March 9--An "easy day." We stopped at Bet She'an, an old Roman town that is being "rebuilt" via excavation. I love this place. It's also the sight where King Saul's and his son Jonathan's bodies were hung after they died in battle.

Sunday, March 8: Nimrod's Fortress (a Crusader Fortress on top of a hill--very cool!); Caesarea Philippi, the place where Jesus asks his disciples, "Who do you say that I am?" It's the headwaters of the Jordan River and we had a great walk along it to some awesome waterfalls. Tel Dan (a tel is a hill created by building one city on top of another over generations).

Thursday, March 5-Saturday, March 7--The Sea of Galilee area. This is my favorite spot in Israel. Capernaum, the headquarters of Jesus' ministry, Zippori (a hugh excavated town near Nazareth where Jesus and his dad probably worked as tradesmen), the place of the Beatitudes, the Sea itself. Watching the sun set on the Galilee was a highlight.

The food has been fantastic.

Obviously lots more but those are a few highlights so far.

No comments: