Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Our Associate Pastor Moves On

Pastor Brian joined our staff 3 years ago. When I was up in Minneapolis interviewing candidates several years ago, he by far stood head and shoulders above the rest. There was no doubt in my mind that he was the guy for Grace.

When we called Brian it was with the thought that he might plant a new congregation out of Grace. For the last 12 months or so we've had that conversation from time to time. Little did we know that God had a surprise in store for us. As Brian and I were talking about what it might look like for him to begin a new congregation he received an invitation to interview at Wartburg College in Waverly, Iowa. No surprise--they loved him and called him to be their campus pastor.

Brian will be greatly missed. And his new call leaves some holes to fill at Grace.

I've been asked several times already if we're going to find a new associate. The answer, simply put, is: Not for the foreseeable future. One of the things both Brian and I have been mulling over is how to downplay professional church workers and up-play the gifts and talents within the laity. So rather than hire another professional church type, we're going to start putting our mulling into action. A few of our staff will help carry some of the load, but I'm eager to see what leaders will emerge from within our congregation.

As I dream about my final third of ministry, one of my priorities is to find ways to increasingly invite more and more of our laity into the joy and significance of mission. There are gifts sitting in the chairs each Sunday waiting to be used. We've got a lot of people already doing significant mission. From my perspective, the more the merrier.

So over the next months and years we'll watch together as God raises up talented, gifted people from within Grace to lead, support, and serve the mission of Grace.

1 comment:

Jill said...

I guess you'll have to let people know if there are things to be done or if they have an idea they can volunteer. Some people volunteer or step up if asked and some are ready to go right away but don't know if they're heading in the right direction.