Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Alaskan Cruise, Tuesday evening, August 19, 2008

Our last night. We've stopped at Campbell River, Canada. Up to the stop, we had some great scenery weaving between Islands. Saw a pod of Orcas. Saw a bald eagle in flight. As I mentioned in the last post, saw a humpback breach--3-4 times! Passed through Seymour Straight where, 50 years ago, a corp of engineers blew up a couple of mountains in the waterway (actually, under the water), the largest non-nuclear blast in history. Watched a 1958 video of the process and explosion. Reminded me of the EB films we used to watch in grade school.

It's cold and rainy (surprise!) here in Campbell River, so Jan and I opted out of the river rafting and went down the pier for a nice dinner. Jan topped it off with an A and W root beer float. I had a Starbucks hot chocolate with Soy milk. I'm pretty ready to get home and detox a bit from the sweets we've been enjoying the last few days. And will be glad to be off my diet of dramamine. Though once the rough seas ended I'm not sure I needed it. But always best to be safe on a trip like this.

It ended up being a nice relaxing 48 hours on the ship between Skagway and here. Did some reading, hanging out, taking in the scenery. Worked out. Ate. Ate some more. Ate again.

Sad to see it all end but looking forward to getting home.

No comments: