Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Groaning for Grace

This past Sunday we did something different (at least for us) during worship. Rather than having a sermon, we interspersed worship songs with times of prayer--focused specifically on five areas: The natural disasters of the last few weeks (tornadoes, cyclones, earthquakes, fires); Violence/War/Oppression; Poverty/hunger/homelessness; Racial tension; and our own day to day stuff.

It was a powerful reminder of a world that, as Paul puts it in Romans 8, groans for grace. So often we think only of individual suffering, but all of creation groans and sighs under the weight of brokenness, waiting for the day when God will resurrect and recreate not only our bodies but this world he still loves.

It's also a reminder that grace isn't simply about saving souls. It's about bringing hope and healing to all facets of creation, whether through fighting against unjust systems, teaching people new skills to care for themselves, practicing environmentally-friendly living, or through forgiving our enemies.

Grace is for all who groan under the weight of suffering. It is global and personal.

It's always been there in the Bible, from Romans 8 to Genesis 1 to John 3:16, but speaking for myself, for much of my life, I've missed the global perspective of grace. Thank God his grace patiently opened my eyes. By his grace I'm honored to be a part of a congregation that personally cares about the global groans and wants to respond with grace.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tim,
As is typical, you have defined a lesson for us all in a Grace-based perspective. I admit my "groan" about this priest's comments provided me with even more evidence
that my rejection of politics was for the "right" reason. However, it also clarifies, as you remind me, that our country needs the Grace of Christ more than ever, but we continue to ignore and/or reject it.
I am not a Barack supporter. While I agree Sen. Obama is not responsible for comments someone in his church makes-- even its pastor or guests, he is responsible for his decision to remain a member in what sounds like such a hate-filled congregation-- good works in the community not withstanding.